About Me

My photo
Welcome to my beauty blog, and you will find a lot of beauty sharings here. As a shopaholic and a skincare maniac, I always like to try new things in market. And the most important thing is I just share what I had tried for at least a month to get most trustworthy testimonial. Besides, as a cosmetic analyst, I'll share with you more interesting facts behind these bottles and jars. Feel free to drop by here and I am looking forward to approaching you soon.

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Review of UVA & UVB

Let’s continue with SPF topic, the sun emits ultraviolet radiation in the UVA, UVB and UVC bands.

UVA: wavelength 320-400 nm, causes pigmentation, uneven skintone. Although less likely than UVB to cause sunburn, UVA penetrates the skin more deeply, and is considered the chief culprit behind wrinkling, leathering, and other aspects of “photoaging”.

UVB: wavelength 290-320 nm. More potent than UVA in producing sunburn, these rays are considered the main cause of basal and squamous cell carcinomas as well as a significant cause of melanoma.

UVC: absorbed by the ozone layer and does not reach the earth.

So, how are you going to see which sunscreen products block both UVA and UVB?

With label of SPF, it symbolizes with the blockage of UVB to skin; whereas for UVA, you could look for PA + to +++. Other than that, please check their ingredient lists.


UVA blocker: Mesoryl SX (L’oreal), Mesoryl XL, benzophenones, Zinc oxide, Titanium dioxide

UVB blocker: Mesoryl XL, octyl methoxycinnamate, ethylhexyl methoxycinnamate, octyl dimethyl PABA, octylcrylen (2-ethylhexy;-2-cyano-3,3-diphenlyacrylate), Zinc oxide, Titanium dioxide

philosophy

2 comments:

~* *··§îlvêr±€ryst壴¯`* * ~ said...

Hi fifi. I love ur articles, and i have bookmark it inside my bloglist, hope you don't mind.

I've notice that some of the tinted moisturizer has only SPF, and no PA listed(does that means that there is no PA at all?), why is that?Is it still safe to use?

I work in front of the computer for long hours. Do I need a sunscreen with higher PA? Fyi, im using a sunscreen(mukti) with low SPF(not sure if there's PA). I work indoor and seldom expose to the sunlight. Is that sufficient to me?

Philosophy said...

i'm glad u love my blog n u r always welcomed to bookmark it. tinted moisturizer is a bb-cream similar product, PA usually available for Japan/France brands, it symbolizes UVA block factor, if tinted moisturizer contains zinc oxide, titanium dioxide or UVA blockers such as Mesoryl SX (L’oreal), Mesoryl XL, benzophenones, it is definitely can block against UVA